Friday, November 14, 2008

gender bias and guess who.

has anyone else ever noted the gender bias so blatently portrayed in the guess who game??

i just finished playing this game with a student ... and there were 5 women and 19 men!!!

don't judge. i play games. at work. all. day. long. (in between paperwork. shhh ... don't remind me about that.) the kind of games that you grew up playing. the kind that i bet you are wishing that you could play while you grovel in front of a computer in a cubicle. i'm not all that jealous. and, yes, i stick with the good ole stand-by board games. candyland, guess who and hi-ho!cherry-o! are some of my favorites. believe me when i say, kids hardly know how to manuver a game piece around a game board anymore. sad.
my husband has what he thinks is a funny line, when i'm complaining about my workday, "oh, the tea party didn't go well today, huh??"
and yes ... i actually make the kids DO work while we play the games. it's not ALL fun...

so anyhoo ... back to my original story. the number of girls vs. boys. what's up with that?? if you pull a girl card ... your opponent has much higher odds of figuring out who it is. so, so not fair.

so i'm off to explore. maybe you can help?? does the new(er) version have a more equal ratio of boys to girls?? 'cause i may just have to buy a new game set.

and on a side note...
as a game of categorization with my kiddos that i work with, i will print off pictures of foods or animals or the current theme of the month...and put them in the little boxes. the kids have to ask questions to eliminate or determine which vocabulary word is the right one. (e.g., is it a fruit? does it have feathers?) loads of fun over here at coconutbelly land. i tell ya.

6 comments:

HeatherPride said...

Oh man. I would love your job I think. I am really, really good at Sorry and also at Chutes and Ladders. Can I come sub for you sometime?

steenky bee said...

I've never played the Guess Who game. I might be missing out. But be advised of one thing, if you ever meet me and we play a game of Sorry, know that I WILL cheat and I AM ruthless. Actaully, I don't have one competitive bone in my body, other than when I play Go Fish or Sorry.

Marinka said...

I've played Guess Who about 3,587,808 times, give or take a few. It's true, there are not a lot of women, but a few of the men look transgendered, like maybe they're transitioning or something.

little.birdy said...

I'll have to check my friend's copy of Guess Who. She was using it with a client. Playing with kids is so fun, but that paperwork is a real drag!

Casey said...

I've never actually heard of that game. I'm a SkipBo champion if you ever want to play that with me. Oh, and I love me some connect four. I love games, you're so lucky to get to play them at work!

Bex said...

hi, i'm lurking here... i just read your comment about french silk pie at morgan madness. i am intrigued!