Thursday, September 18, 2008

coffee with friends

the grocery store was out of my old stand-by coffee creamer. coconut creme. during a visit with my best(est) friend this summer, she introduced me to a new fun flavor. black cherry streusel.

when i saw that i wasn't getting any coconut creme (and believe me...i searched AND i asked.) i decided that husband (who also loves coconut creme - slightly girly...wouldn't you agree?) would just have to be willing to try black cherry streusel. and i was (a wee bit) excited to have it again. (yes, my morning coffee excites me...deal.)

i bought it. (even though it only comes in the small size and we pretty much drink coffee for the cream...therefore, typically only buy the big size). i went to bed last night, eager for my morning cup of coffee. it was the first thing i asked husband about when i got out of the shower. did you make my our coffee yet?

i opened the creamer, peeled away the foil top, (licked it...mmmm)...and poured the steamy coffee into my cup. i took a delicate sip...

i was completely disappointed...i had my eagerly anticipated cup of coffee with black cherry streusel creamer in my hand this morning and realized that it doesn't taste quite as good.
my coffee isn't as good...without my good friend holding a cup too.
i miss her, immensely.

we are both (finally! again!) at the same point in our lives. we kind of zig-zagged here and there through life for awhile. occasionally living in the same city, although most often very far apart. while i was getting married, she was dating. while she was getting married, i was having babies. when she was married and enjoying her freedom, i had two little ones to relish. now...we are both mommies.

we're back. (although we were never really not there.)

and my visit this summer, has made me miss her more than ever. i, now, realize what i miss when we don't live near each other.

she is that friend that i have vowed to move in with someday, somewhere warm and tropical, and spend the rest of your days together chatting and giggling like old times.

after both of us lose our husbands (we'll miss you!)
and our children no longer want us around (we'll miss you too!)

she is the friend that has not only my bff vow...but my bffaeaa vow.
she is the friend that i want to share my nursing home room with.
she is the friend that i will always share myself with completely.
she is the friend whose life i wish i was a constant part of.
she is the friend whose life i am most sad that i miss on a daily basis.

come to visit, sar-bear...i have a cup of coffee waiting for you.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That reminded me to call one of my BFF's that I have been meaning to call for weeks. Thanks! I'm doing it RIGHT NOW. :)

Christy said...

Awww! What a sweet post. I don't have any friends like this - consider yourself VERY lucky.

LazyCrazyMama said...

My best friend is hazelnut coffee. :) I wish I had a friend like that, so sweet :)
BTW- that is awfully girly of your husband. I have to have a separate pot and grinder for my flavored coffee, so as not to taint the regular coffee. I should just switch to flavored creamer...

Unknown said...

Wow...that is so sweet...I wish I had someone like that for myself...

Aliza said...

also off topic but did you email me at babyfruit AT gmail address? I'll go check. The uterus book has been on hold and then my web site redesign obliterated the submission form. But let's connect by email!

Stellaandthomas said...

awwww...i have a friend like that too. She gave birth to a little boy last october and he passed away three days later. My friend is still not ok and somedays I miss her soooo much.

Ok...long depressing story on my part. :-(

Shanna said...

Such a sweet post. It is so hard to be far from your friends. Mine are all at least 2 hours away, one 12 hours drive time! Miss them greatly most days.

Connie said...

That made me cry. You are so lucky to have such an amazing friendship. It is rare.

I do not know about this creamer! Sara has been holding out on ME!

Off to call Sara!

Anonymous said...

Love You Jen Men!!