Friday, August 15, 2008

i think it should be YOUR birth...

so...
belly's favorite tv show right now...is baby story. she calls it "having babies".

please don't get all higher than thou with me right now. i know that it isn't the most "appropriate" show for a child to watch. she is the type of child that is ALWAYS learning. she wants to KNOW things. not just be TOLD things. we watch it in a very open manner. she's allowed to ask questions. i answer them. what can i say...i like to see babies being born too! and i really think it made her less-scared when i was at the hospital with coconut. she kinda knew what was happening...anyhoo...

she's watching this "having babies" this morning. and i am absolutely offended by the doctor on the show this morning. the mother wished to have a natural childbirth. the doctor was CONSTANTLY throwing interventions at her. i know i'm not a doc. i know that i didn't know the full circumstances. but it seems to me that offering pitocin just because she is 3 cm and should hurry up is asking for it. (she denied it...good girl) then offering pitocin again when she's 9 1/2 cm! that's bound to stall labor, isn't it? yes, she was able to rest...but 9 1/2 cm?? wouldn't she have just made it through in a relatively short amount of time?? then of course...she was offered an epidural at that point. (which she took). and the doc mentioned something about...if that's how she's planning on pushing (prior to the epi)...she'll just be ineffective. what kind of a doc talks to you like that?? wouldn't you be a wee bit more supportive and encouraging??

what the hell...isn't this HER birth?? not the docs?? who gets to make the decisions?

a few others have been writing their birth stories lately...i think it's about time that i share too.

soon...my dear reader(s)...soon.

4 comments:

Christy said...

I used to watch all show all the time too. Unfortunately, I all watch is Blue's Clues now days.

Honestly, I feel like my doctors pushed too many interventions at me during Porgie's birth. I think that is why I ended up with a c-section instead of a vaginal delivery.

Marinka said...

There was a great article in the New Yorker about a year ago about controlling birth. Sort of like we want it to be all "natural", but we also want it to be risk-free, and you can't have both. I'm one of those people who loves medical intervention. My daughter was born by c-section that some would argue may not have been necessary, but for me, the bottom line was I had a beautiful, healthy baby, so whatever intervention they did, was perfect. and by "beautiful" I don't mean,
"head not weird looking because she didn't travel through the birth canal".

I can't watch those shows anymore. They make me PPD.

anymommy said...

Oh, yes please, I think you know how I feel about birth stories (LOVE them). I do think hospital settings can be very non-supportive and even dismissive of natural births if the mom isn't prepared and informed. But, it's hard to balance, sometimes medical interventions are necessary and we are so lucky to have them available!

Unknown said...

I loved my Dr. He was all, whatever you want to do unless you or the baby are going to be hurt....

I used to watch A baby Story all the time, until after having my second child and then suddenly had no desire to watch it any longer....I guess I knew I was done. :)